Thursday 28 May 2015

SA’s new travelling with minors rule

On the 1st of June the new rule for children travelling in South Africa will come into effect, all major airlines say they have done all they can to inform those that will be effected.

As the date creeps closer, whether you like it or not, these provisions have to be made!

The Chairperson of the Board of Airline Representatives of South Africa (BARSA), Carla da Silva says she is still concerned about how its implementation will affect tourism in South Africa. She went on to say, “We are extremely concerned as South Africa is indeed the only country in the world implementing an Unabridged Birth Certificate to be accompanied with a passport when travelling with children.”

Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom confirmed in parliament recently that there had been negative growth over the past six months from countries affected by the regulations.

No matter what the findings may be, South African travelers who want to stay on the right side of the law should prepare their travel documents according to the new visa regulations, or face immediate deportation!

To assist travelers to South Africa, here are the things you need to know about travelling with minors in SA:

Child + Both Parents
Documents required:
- Unabridged birth certificate
- Valid passport

Child + 1 Parent
Documents required:

- Affidavit granting permission to travel from absent parent
- Or court order giving travelling parent full responsibility
- Legally separated parents provide a court order when other parent does not give consent
- Death certificate if one parent is deceased

Child + Guardian only
Documents required:

- Affidavit from the parents or legal guardian to state child is allowed to travel – name guardian
- Contact details of the parents or legal guardian
- Copies of the identity documents and passports of the parents or legal guardian
- If both parents deceased Director-General must approve guardian to accompany child
- If adopted provide adoption certificate

Child + Unaccompanied
Documents required:

- Affidavit or court order with contact details signed by both parents or legal guardian giving permission to travel
- Contact details, certified copies of the identity document or passport of the person the child is staying with (necessary if person receiving child not same as person child is staying with)
- Letter from the person receiving the child (to include contact details and physical address)

For more information on the new travelling with minor’s rules, visit

Book in at 808 Cartwright for an affordable, self-catering apartment with amazing views. Need a reliable shuttle service to and from Cape Town International Airport? Contact Airport Shuttle today!

Written By: Christine Romans

No comments:

Post a Comment